December 2016: We’re well underway with the 2016/17 Cool Tools workshop. This is the 9th time we’ve run the program! With over 700 participants since 2011.
Many of the lessons listed below are still being updated. As topics are updated, you’ll see a note indicating they are updated. All the topics from last year will be included this year. If you want to peek ahead, go right ahead! Most of the content of last year’s lessons will be the same, though some new content will be added. There will be a few new topics as well – see the end of this page.
Canvas LMS workshop platform
Some changes this year: While the lessons will still be housed here, participants taking this workshop for PD credit hours will be posting their lessons and participating in discussion groups within a class site on Canvas LMS. That site will be restricted to participants being sponsored by their schools and library systems.
All the lessons will remain on this site, so others can use the content freely.
Tracks 1 to 4 are gone and replaced with “Cool Tools 101” (Things 1-10) and “More Cool Tools”.
Cool Tools 101 is generally intended for people who haven’t participated in this, or a similar, program before. You’ll pick 5 or 10 topics to complete. The place to start is with Thing 1: Blogging where you’ll get your blog setup. You’ll use the blog to write up your reflections through the workshop. You could pick topics just from the first 10 Things, but feel free to pick topics from the other tracks if they interest you more. There are also the extra “DIY” and “Final Reflection” topics. Lots to choose from!
More Cool Tools: These lessons used to be split up into Tracks 2, 3 and 4. But those labels have lost any meaning as we reorganize, add, update and delete topics. If you’ve participated before, scan all the lesson titles and pick out the topics that appeal to you. Don’t forget the extra “DIY” and “Final Reflection” topics as well. Everyone is encouraged to do these.
Repeating a topic: Since most of the lessons have lots of options and there are always new things to explore, feel free to repeat topics that are of particular interest. Just be sure to truly explore some new aspects or try new tools.
AND REMEMBER that your posts need to reflect how the topics relate to your work as an educator. It’s great to include fun, personal ideas too if you like, but don’t forget the educational connections.
Cool Tools 101
- Thing 1: Blogging (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 2: Photo Fun (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 3: Twitter and Other Online Communities (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 4: Digital Storytelling (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 5: Presentation Tools (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 6: Curation Tools (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 7: Audio Tools (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 8: Screencasting & Screen Sharing (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 9: Databases and Search Tools (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 10: Personal Learning Networks & Connected Educators (updated for 2016/17)
Extra topics for everyone. Each carries the same 2 PD hour credit.
- Thing 11: DIY – You Pick – Have a topic or tool you want to explore? Go for it! You can repeat this one if you like.
- Thing 12: Final Reflection – Everyone is encouraged to submit a final reflection.
More Cool Tools
- Thing 13: Coding (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 14: News Literacy (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 15: Emerging Tech: Scanning the Horizon (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 16: Media Skills (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 17: Digital Tattoo & Digital Citizenship (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 18: Student Assessment & Feedback Tools (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 19: Evidence Based Practice – Getting Started (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 20: Evidence Based Practice – Collecting Data (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 21: Taking the Lead: Connecting with your Stakeholders (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 22: Annual Reports – Make them Matter! (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 23: Infographics & Data Visualization (updated for 2016/17)
- Thing 24: RSS & Feed Readers (updated for 2016/17)
Still being updated….
- Thing : App-palooza!
- Thing : Flash Cards, Quiz Games and more
- Thing : Collaborating, Connecting, Sharing
- Thing : Web Presence (including LibGuides)
- Thing : Online Learning
- Thing : Social Reading & “Book Stuff”
- Thing : Geolocation & Mapping Tools
- Thing : Productivity Tools
- Thing : Create a Resource Guide: Explore subject area resources and ways to share content with colleagues
- Thing : Makerspaces
- Thing : Power up your Browser: Add-ons for Google Drive, Chrome & more
- Thing : Digital Portfolios for Students
Additional Topics being considered:
- Augmented & Virtual Reality?
- Data Literacy?
- All Things Google?
- Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Online Security
- Other ideas?? Please add comments below!
Final Completion Dates
Dates will be posted later in the school year. Each School Library System will set their own deadlines.